Playing guidebook as a new tool in museum practice (by example of Perm)
*Perm State University, Perm, Russian Federation
Abstract: In the modern world, museum spaces are undergoing conceptual changes. An interactive system of relations with visitors is building. Playing guidebook became one of the tools, which help to made new museum policy in relations with children. Playing or interactive guidebook is a paper brochure with drawings-comics that are accompanied with tasks that are feasible for a child of a certain age. It is assumed that children are involved in museum education and in future it will help to form persistent visitor’s interest in similar events. The purpose of the article is an analysis of discourse that demonstrates how visitors of museum institutions evaluate game guides and related new practices. This article researches experiences of two Perm museums: Perm museum of contemporary art “PERMM” and Perm state art gallery. These cultural areas were the first initiated process of using playing guidebook in the framework of inter-museum Perm project “Ready, steady… Go to museum!” Methods of research included involved observation and interviewing museum visitors: children and adults. The absolute majority of respondents highly appreciate the educational effect of traveling through museums with the help of playing guidebooks. The main lack of implementation is the lack of professional support or “scaffolding”, which should be carried by a museum specialist. If in the future such events using game guides count on developing museum projects of «participatory culture», the system of prolonged feedback with participants should be established.
Keywords: museum, playing guidebook, interactivity, participatory culture
For citation: Vetoshkina Iu. V., Mokhova K.N., Playing guidebook as a new tool in museum practice (by example of Perm). Servis plus, vol. 12, no. 2, 2018, pp. 128-137. (In Russ.) DOI: 10.24411/2413-693X-2018-10214
Received on 2018/04/04
Approval to print on 2018/05/04
- Kopelyanskaya N., Shcherbakov A., et al., Museum as a space of education: play, dialogue, culture of participation. Moscow, 2012, 176 p. (In Russ.)
- Galkina T. V., Museum pedagogy: the problem of the structure of the museum guide-book. Vestnik TGPU, no. 10, 2010. (In Russ.) Available at: http://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/muzeynaya-pedagogika-problema-struktury-muzeynogo-putevoditelya (Accessed on February 17, 2018).
- Naimushina E., What’s inside me? My feelings: a guide for children of 7-12 years old. Perm, 2017. (In Russ.)
- Simon N., Participatory museum. Moscow: OOO “Ad Marginem Press”, 2017, 721 p. (In Russ.)
- Verkholantseva A., Glazyrina J., Karnaukhova E., Ostrovsky S., et al., To the museum with your baby: a guide for parents with children up to three years. Perm, 2016. (In Russ.)
- Shipitsyna A., Art and feeling: to be in a place to be together: guidebook 13+. Perm: PERMM Museum of contemporary art, 2016, 8 p. (In Russ.)
- Serebrennikov A., Inhabitancy. Drawing: guide for children 8-12 years. Perm: PERMM Museum of contemporary art, 2016, 8 p. (In Russ.)
- Reshetnikov P. E., Non-traditional technological system of teacher training: the birth of the master. Moscow, 2000. (In Russ.)
- Falk J., Identity and the museum visitor experience. Walnut Creek: Left Coast Press, 2009.
- Hart R., Children’s Participation: from Tokenism to Citizenship. UNICEF Innocenti Essays, no. 4, 1979. Available at: http://www.unicef-irc.org/publications/pdf/childrens_participation.pdf.
- Simon N., The Art of Relevance. Santa Cruz: Calif. Museum 2.0, 2016, 196 p.